Welcome To The CapeWinelands
With its history of making the first wine in 1659, South Africa has never stopped to prove its being in the top 10 of making excellently fortified and port-style wines at a world-class. There are districts in Cape wine lands that are divided into regions that are concentrating near and around Cape Town. With so many beautiful valleys, green romantic surroundings, amazing terraces of vineyards plantations, it is all about a crisp and perfect atmosphere that creates thirsty for wine lovers who happen to visit the region. There are more than 148 wine farms with the most beautiful gardens, exclusive hotels, fine dinings, restaurants for local and international cuisines. There are no drinking methods unless you want our sommelier to take you through all best, and we know just where to take you!
Best Cape Town Wine Tours & Tastings
A touch on the Winelands! History says that researchers took the liberty to do a study on wine and distinguished that wine is good for you as it helps fight those antioxidants and many more other potential diseases; particularly red wine does it. Well, welcome to the Cape, the home of the best to ever be Wine. With a knowledgeable Private Guide, you will be escorted through the Winelands, experiencing beautiful landscapes, mountains, and vegetation around you. This kind of tour is filled with a lot of background on where the wine is derived. As your palate appreciates the wine surrounding the insides of your mouth, a brief precise history of what you’re enjoying is provided. This is to give you an idea of how best wine is made!? With the Cape Winelands; history has unfolded drastically over the last 350 years with a very rich tapestry of certain events. A prestigious Dutch Commander stepped ashore in the 1600s on a mission to establish a provisioning station for ships from the Dutch East India Company; that would be sailing around southern Africa. Well fortunately enough for us, Jan van Riebeeck saw the potential for grape growing. For the next two days, we will embark on the journey to discover these prestigious wine estates, taste, and explore more on the properties.
Starting off with the Durbanville Hills winery. Here is a little bit of information for your perusal about the estate. Wine has been made in the Durbanville area since the end of the 17th century but it wasn’t until the late 1990s when Durbanville Hills Wines was established. The Durbanville Hills winery was designed and built with only one objective in mind: to make top-quality wine from top-quality grapes. White varietals are cooled quickly to release only the beneficial aromas from the skins into the juice, producing wines with consistent, as well as longer, flavor retention.
Further down on the N1 towards Paarl, a stop at the Fairview Wine Estate is the best treat you can ever do for yourself. Fairview Vineyards and Goats Cheese for a cheese and wine tasting. Here guests can purchase their favorite cheese and condiments, as well as their favorite wine from a choice of 3 ranges. From here we will do another wine tasting pairing with some top cheese produced at this award vineyard wining namely Fairview Wine Estate situated in Paarl. Be sure to get yourself one of Western Cape’s finest cheeses accompanied by a bottle or two of wine.
With our customized itinerary, you are guaranteed to visit the best wineries in the Cape; it is the home of Vineyards after all. Continue your journey of wine tasting by heading off to Franschoek’s Grande Provence Wine Tastings as it is an opportunity for guests to experience the tasting of wine varietals created from nature’s bounty in the Western Cape, a region famed for the quality of its wines. It also features unique food and wine pairing experiences that bring together the expertise of two of Grande Provence Estate’s award-winning talents. Breaking boundaries, the taste of Grande Provence offers new insights into how to match food with wine. The traditional approach of red meat and red wine, white meat, and white wine now has new ideas brought to bear on the outcome.
Why Go To The Cape Winelands?
The best way of spending more time in Cape Town, South Africa is by doing the wine lands. There is so much wine to taste and drink, food pairings, old historic buildings from centuries ago, quaint and historic towns and so many exquisite farms. Along with outdoor activities like horseback riding in the vines, quad biking, picnic, and picking of fruits like strawberries. Wine lands are the perfect gateway to honeymooners and are family-friendly, fine for kids.
Where To Go On The Cape Winelands
The Cape Winelands grace travelers with very fine scenery, delectable meals and it is one of the world's finest wine fountains. Besides a memorable wine tasting experience, for visitors are offers in other areas such as chocolate tasting, cheese tasting, and olives. Choices are your limits in the Cape Winelands. The idea wine destination towns are Franschhoek, Stellenbosch and Paarl an easy reach from Cape town, do not forget to ask about the Constantia region, the birth mother of wine and Hermanus the beautiful countryside.
1. Stellenbosch – this is the most famous wine route in southern Africa known for its crisp fine wines and Cabernet Sauvignon is quite famous here. The whole region is very historic with a lot of old Cape Dutch manor houses. There are approximately 148 wine farms around Stellenbosch and this wine district is 45 minutes/ 50.7km away from the city via R310.
2. Franschhoek - this is the food and wine capital of South Africa. There are 40 estates where you can enjoy your exquisite wine tasting. This region is 1hr10/ 81.4 km away from the city via N1 & R45.
3. Paarl – this is the second oldest wine city of South Africa, which is 49 minutes/ 59,4 km away from the city via N2 & N1. There are 49 wine estates you can choose from, but whenever you are tired of wine they rather do the language monument of Afrikaans.
4. Hermanus – this is the most famous and popular holiday town in South Africa where you get an opportunity to do the wine tasting in the HEMEL-EN-AARDE region choosing from 15 farms. Hermanus is famous for land and boat whale watching and for its wine you only need to do 1hr40 minutes/ 121,2 km via N2.
5. Constantia – this is the oldest wine-producing region in the whole of South Africa and in the southern hemisphere. The region is only 20minutes/18.7km away from the CBD of the city and there are 10 farms in this wine route via M3.
When To Go?
The best time when to visit Cape Winelands generally depends on which other destinations you wish to visit on your holiday. Every season is the best time to visit the Cape Winelands as each season brings a memorable experience. Make merry in the bright summer sunshine as you sip chilled wine and tuck into alfresco lunch or wait until winter and cuddle up next to a roaring fire with a glass of red wine.
Autumn brings splashes of deep orange and golden yellow in the vineyards whereas spring sprinkles the surrounding mountains with wildflowers.
Best Time to Go: Best: Good:
- Stellenbosch – wine tasting, city walking tour, picnics, strawberry picking, and food pairings. Tailor-make your tour with a giraffe house, crocodile farm, horseback riding, and quad biking
- Paarl – wine tasting, cheese tastings, chocolate tastings, ice cream tastings, the language monument of Afrikaans
- Constantia- wine tasting, self-guided cellar tour, and vine tour. Enjoying the old Cape Dutch architecture.
- Franschhoek – Top 100 food capital of SOUTH Africa in the world. Wine tasting, chocolate tasting, and activities like horseback riding, quad biking, paragliding, and ziplining in the valleys and mountains around. The Huguenot Monument, Franschhoek pass, and Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve.
- Hermanus – excellent wine tasting and exclusive food pairing in Hemel-An-ade. If you are right in the whale season then you enjoy both wine tasting after watching the ocean giants.
Let us then plan your trip, but first and foremost check what we have made for you from the available itineraries.
Enquire Now & View on Google Map
Have a question?
Let’s Talk About Your African Trip
How it works
Describe your Cape Town or Dream African Safari Trip
An African Travel Expert will help curate your experience
Get inspired by any of our itineraries for instant confirmation
Confirm & start packing to explore Africa
Pay online directly if you like any tour idea