Robben Island Tours & TicketsRobben a Dutch word that translates to Seal is a name given to an island North of Cape Town and on the West Coast of Bloubergstrand in South Africa. Robben Island is flat land only a few meters above sea level which the land was used as a prison for the political activist during the apartheid error in 1966 until 1996. More to be the land of imprisonment and leper colony, Robben Island was also for animal quarantine. Quite a few places in South Africa bear the weight and survival of historical facts to prove the triumph and powerful symbol of the human spirit to freedom like Robben Island.
The ticket price to enjoy this trip 2020/2021: Non - South African Adults - R600.00 Non - South African Kids R400.00 South African Adults - R400.00 South African kids R200.00
Tailor-Made Robben Island Tour Packages
1. Robben Island and Table Mountain Cable Way Experience.
2. Robben Island and V&A Waterfront experience.
3. Robben Island and Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden.
4. Robben Island and Wine tasting in the Constantia region.
5. Robben Island and Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve.
Best Robben Island Tours & Tickets
Reserve your Robben Island Island tickets with us for a memorable authentic guided prison tour of Nelson Mandela and other political activists from the ruling South African ANC party. These include but not limited to Robert Sobukwe, Ahmad Katrada, and many more. All tours to Robben Island departs from Cape Town's prestigious Waterfront harbor in a group and are privately guided into small groups at the Island by an ex-political prisoner who acts as a tour guide. Robben Island Tours: Normally Robben Island has tour packages and trips that depart at 09:00, 11:00, 13:00, and 15:00, and getting a ticket for a half or full-day tour can be tricky because of the popularity of Robben Island prison excursions.
Secure your Robben Island tickets here with a range of day tours from Cape Town, South Africa. Skip the line. Robben Island was a place and sign of repression of brutal Apartheid policies against black South Africans and people of color. It was here where Nelson Mandela started his long walk to freedom after the Rivonia trial sentence and spent 18 good years of his life in the most inhuman conditions in a small cell the size of a box of matches.
Tickets to Robben Island sells fast online as this declared world heritage site has become too popular for tourists and local South Africans who want to visit the now Robben Island Museum. All our Robben Island tours come with pre-booked tickets and can be conducted in half or full-day tours with a combination of other top attractions in Cape Town such as Table Mountain, Cape Point, Penguins, Cape of Good Hope, Cape Peninsula, and Cape Wineland's tasting in Stellenbosch, Constantia, Durbanville, Paarl or Franschhoek.
Why Go Or Visit Robben Island?
For a beautiful change of traveling atmosphere you may need to visit Robben Island for various reasons:
- Robben Island is a World Heritage Site rated by UNESCO since 1999. South African Nation recognize this place as a symbol of the
- National struggle up until freedom was achieved. This is our heritage and everyone from all lengths of the world is welcome to enjoy the tours here.
- All the former President of South Africa were imprisoned at Robben Island. Mandela, served 18 years here so Kgalema Motlanthe and Jacob Zuma had this as their imprisonment site. Along with other political activists this place the Island has a long history for South African leaders.
- Apart from only being a place of rich history, Robben Island is a penguin and seal colony. There are high chances of viewing Dolphins whenever visiting the Island too.
- It is easy to access Robben Island for as long you are guided and once there, there is so much natural beauty, and have a chance of staying there overnight.
- There is Authentic exclusive accommodation
Where To Go On Robben Island Tour?
When you disembark on a fabulous journey from the Nelson Mandela Gateway at the Waterfront Cape Town harbor to Murray's harbor on Robben Island you need a short walk to the bus on the Island when you land. Once the tour begins, you will pass by historical sites on the Island. From the Leper graveyard driving pass to the lime quarry where prisoners were forced to work all the way to the Maximum Security prison. So much history is delivered as you even pass by the army and navy bankers to the finishing point of Nelson Mandela's cell.
When Is The Best Time To Go Or Visit Robben Island?
Robben island trips are of all year round and daily trips depend on the weather.
Departure Times:The ferries can depart daily at 9:00 am; 11:00 am; 13:00 pm and 15:00 pm every day only if the weather permits. Seasonality can only assist when purchasing your tickets with full assurance of going in due season of fewer swells.
The trip takes up to 30 mins back and forth with a ferry that accommodates 160 people in a duration of 3.5 hours. Always make a booking in advance, tickets can all be easily sold out during the busiest traveling summer season of November to March and we are here to help you with that so as to facilitate your Robben Island tour.
Tickets are only sold at V&A Waterfront, Nelson Mandela Gateway, Web Tickets, and at Robben Island Museum. Save your time and troubles by allowing us a Tour Operating Company to purchase for you. Buying tickets involve more than that for trips maybe canceled anytime due to bad weather, swells etcetera.
Best Time to Go: Best: Good:
- Taking a ferry to Robben Island is one of the most special trips whenever you visit Cape Town.
- So much history at this World Heritage Site.
- Buildings that remind of people's struggle and sad history until freedom achieved. ⁃ Authentic accommodation at the former governor Island's house.
- Touring the island in a bus, where people used to banished, isolated, and exiled for nearly 400 years with an ex-prisoner guide.
- Diverse marine and Safari wildlife. Dolphins, Cape Fur Seals, and penguins.
- Secure your Robben Island tour with our pre-booked ticket(s)
- Take the footsteps of Nelson Mandela on this prison tour of Robben Island
- Combine your Robben Island tours with table mountain, cape town city, penguins, and cape of good hope
- Full day Robben Island tour with hotel pick up and drop off
- Half-day tours to Robben Island with tickets
- Guided and escorted half-day tour to Robben Island
Robben Island Boat/ ferry tours and trips departing times are : 09H00, 11H00, 13H00, 15H00 & 17H00. These hours can be extended at Robben Island Museum discretion in the high season. All Robben ticket tours are nonrefundable unless the trip is canceled by Robben Island Museum office. Best Robben Island Half & Full Day Tours & Tickets
Top 10 Picks Robben Island Tours
Top 10 Travel Tips For Destination: Robben Island
What Other Ideas Can I Add To My Robben Island Itinerary?:
Below are our recommended destinations to add to your Robben Island Safari
Enquire Now & View on Google Map
Have a question?
Let’s Talk About Your African Trip
How it works
Describe your Cape Town or Dream African Safari Trip
An African Travel Expert will help curate your experience
Get inspired by any of our itineraries for instant confirmation
Confirm & start packing to explore Africa
Pay online directly if you like any tour idea